Sunday, February 23, 2014

Nature Observation

We spend a lot of time on the Internet and on our cellphones, nowadays. I decided to put in thirty minutes of my time to sit outside and observe nature without any technological distractions around me. I stepped outside into my backyard, and went up the stairs to our patio. I never realized how dirty and worn out it had become since no one ever uses it. Before I sat down, I tired to wipe away the dry leaves off the cushion. I was completely isolated. One may think, how could anyone survive without technology? In fact, it was remarkably easy. I noticed an airplane, flying in circles; then I stared at it for just a little longer and noticed it was a bird. It was soaring in sky, so effortlessly. I felt relaxed. My thoughts were all over the place; wondering what life would be like, if everyday was just like those thirty minutes a spent outside. There was never a complete silence out there. Birds were chirping and the leaves were crashing into one another, because of the slight breeze. It was so peaceful. After sitting out for a while, it started to get very hot, and that comfort went away. My fingertips came into contact with a spider web, and I spontaneously jumped off my seat. I tried to get comfortable once again, but then flies and bees started buzzing around me. I got scared, and moved to a different spot where the sun was not hitting my face. I enjoyed the rest of the time I had left outside. It felt like a whole new world that I would not mind being in again.  

5 comments:

  1. Honestly, the outdoors is completely different from the indoors. We are so attached to the technologic community, that we fail to remember the world around us... nature. As sad as it is, many have forgotten the murmuring of animals and the sound of the wind. Once in a while, at least, we must make time for nature, for we are one with nature. I enjoyed the quirky details in Nicole's blog. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technology has taken over the lives of people now a days, so much so that when stepping out without technology feels bazaar. It really is like entering another world, a beautiful and relaxing world. Though nature sure does come with its downfalls, like nasty bugs. Despite that downfall, people really should spend more quiet time outside. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It saddens me that in a few years the simple yet extremely disarming beauty of nature will be overlooked because of all the advancements in technology. I am not saying that stronger technology is a negative concept, but that people should find a balance between such. I too am terrified of insects and understand Nicole's suffering. Great work, Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cell-phones, tablets, and computers are all amazing creations that have helped mankind dramatically, but they have also crippled our understanding of all the little things. I believe that life is not a “big picture,” but instead it is a gallery consisting of many smaller pictures. One must enjoy and respect all of life’s treasures, because it may be gone tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We see another side of life when we actually take the chance to sit down, relax, and enjoy nature. I am glad Nicole mentioned the strong magnetic attachment we continue to have regarding technology. It also made me giggle at the idea of Nicole being attacked swarms of various insects! Thank you for the greatly needed laugh! It sounds to me like you experienced the antithetical view of nature; witnessing both the annoyance and elegance nature thrusts upon us. Overall, awesome job, Neecole!

    ReplyDelete